Thursday, December 17, 2009

Who Is Responsible for the Explosion in Karen State?

I was shocked when I heard the news that a bomb exploded in Karen State (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1025510/1/.html).

To give you an overview, Karen People are fighting Myanmar for independence since the 1960s.

The government of Myanmar is accusing the Karen National Liberation Army as the group responsible for such cowardly act.

There are reasons for me to believe that it was not done by the Karens. You see, I've lived with the Karen people for more than two months and I am still in contact with my Karen friends up to now.

I've known them as peace loving people and it is hard for me to believe that they can do such inhumane act that will affect civilians.

On the contrary, I do have a first hand knowledge of how Gen. Than Shwe's government bombed Karen Refugee Camps in Thai-Myanmar border.

I have seen (and spent time with them) so many amputated and blind Karen soldiers who were victims of landmines. As you may know, Myanmar military planted a lot of landmines in their battle against Karen National Union.

I hope that world leaders will condemn this act of barbarism.

No comments: