Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Special Place In My Heart


Poor kids will always have a special place in my heart.

If I will be asked to choose between teaching poor kids and rich kids I will definitely choose the former.

Might be because of their desire to be accepted, loved, respected, etc.

Perhaps because in them - - you get what you see. No façade. No cover-ups. No pretensions.

That is why I’ve been going to a poor village for couple of weeks now. Pastor Perlito Gatmen, a missionary, asked me if I want to help him in teaching poor kids. I readily said yes. He started going to that community last September.

The community is really poor. They don’t have any source of potable water. The fifty families who are part of the said community, I’ve been told by Pastor Perlito, share three deep wells. The street is unpaved which becomes so muddy during rainy season.

Pastor Perlito teaches morning and afternoon while I help only in the morning. Our class starts at 9AM and we have around twenty students.

We have the opportunity not only to teach them English and proper hygiene but also to teach them about Christ.

The kids are open to the Gospel and they are enjoying listening to Bible stories and learning Christian songs. Last week, we taught them Read Your Bible, Jesus Loves Me This I Know, With Christ in my Vessel, and other songs that tells about the love of God. I and Pastor Perlito presented the Gospel through a magic trick show. The kids not only enjoyed watching us perform the trick but also understood the Gospel.

Panha is one of the kids. He is always present and on time in coming to class. He always sits in front and actively participates in class activities. I can see that he really is happy not only in our class but also in spending time with me and Pastor Perlito. Panha helped pastor Perlito in doing the basketball court. (One of Pastor Perlito’s projects is to put up a basketball court for the youth who are attending the afternoon class.)

Once, when we decided to visit houses just to connect with the residents of the community, Panha went with us. He did it with a smile in his face.

I am sharing this to you so that you can be part of our happiness every time we spend time with those kids and so that you can also pray for the ministry that God entrusted to us.

God bless.

No comments: