Thursday, December 17, 2009

Happiness

"Sok sabay?", my friend greeted me when I met him at the corridor.

Sok sabay literally means, "are you happy?" It is a common greeting in Cambodia. It actually implies that the speaker wishes the person he is greeting happiness in life.

This brought me to the idea that most of us, if not all of us, are longing for happiness.I am even reminded of the movie "Pursuit of Happyness".

Now, a lot of people try to look for that elusive happiness through a lot of things. Some try to find that happiness by working so hard. They thought that they will be happy if they are successful. Some try to get that happiness by being famous. Some even thought that they will be happy if they will have a lifetime partner. Well, don't get me wrong. I believe that part of being human is the need to relate. We are created to love and to be loved. But relationship is not a means-to-an-end or an end-in-itself. Relationship, I believe, is just a result of learning how to love and be loved correctly which is the result of being happy. Happiness should come first before having a fulfilling relationship.

As I think about this topic I can't help but be reminded of the guy in Luke 15:11-25.

Yes, that guy who left his home for the pursuit of happiness.

Presumably, the reason why he left home is that because he was unhappy? Why would he leave home if he was contented? (verses 11-12)

So, he left home for a distant country (verse 13)and tried to indulge in activities that he surmised will make him happy. He squandered his wealth in wild living (verse 13). I guess he tried to establish relationships with different ladies by spending a lot for them. He might have even looked for them in girlie bars if there are such places in his time. I also have a guess that he spent his money with the desire of being famous. Anyway, isn't it that some do splurge for their friends because they want to be accepted and be famous?

But the question is: Did he find that happiness that he was searching for?

The answer is a resounding no.

In fact, he felt that he was a failure. (verses 14-19)

Nevertheless, he realized that the only way for him to be happy is to go back home and obey his father (verses 17-20). And he was right. He found happiness at his home. There was fun and dancing at his home. (verses 22-25)

Perhaps you also left home in pursuit of that elusive happiness.

Perhaps you tried to have it by searching for Mr. Right or Miss Right.

Perhaps you thought that you can have that long-lasting happiness by doing things that will give you temporary pleasure like sex, drugs, accomplishments, and others.

My friend, there is only one way to have complete fulfillment and joy in life.

It is by going back to the Lord and obeying him by saying, "No to what I want, yes to what God says."

"The only time, the only time I ever saw Him ran
Was when He ran to me, He took me in His arms
Held my head to His chest, said, 'My son, come home again.'
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes.
With forgiveness in His voice, He said,
'Son, do you know I still love you.'
He caught me by surprise when God ran.

The day I left home I knew I'd broken His heart
And I wondered then if things could ever be the same.
Then one night I remembered His love for me
And down that dusty road ahead I could see
It was the only time - the only time I ever saw Him ran.

I was so ashamed, all alone and so far away
But I know He's been waiting for this day."
From the song, "When God ran"

No comments: