Monday, December 14, 2009

Waffle and A Pair of Socks

I was euphoric yesterday.

I received my very first Christmas gift for this season!

It was Christmas celebration in our church yesterday. The invited speaker preached about the birth of Christ. We had potluck afterwards. One of the Filipino missionaries approached me and gave me a box of waffle beautifully decorated with ribbon. On it is a dedication that says, “Kuya Jun, Merry Christmas.”

After a while, another Filipino missionary approached me and gave me a nicely wrapped gift. Can you guess what it is? Yeah! It is a pair of socks. Yes, a pair of socks.

Can you guess again what popped into my head?

I pondered, “Right timing!”

You see, I only had a pair of socks before receiving that gift. It is not that I don’t have money to buy another pair of socks. It is just that I don’t see the need for me to buy another one. I always rationalize that I can just wash that pair of socks after using with the intention of wearing it again the next day.

Well… actually… that pair of “wash and wear” socks already has a hole. I just intend to sew it though. 

As I contemplated more about the gifts, it dawned upon me that I don’t deserve it. Yes, they are my friends but I am not that helpful in the church. There are other people in the church who are more helpful than me. That touched my heart.

I can’t help but think that as they give me those gifts they were telling me, “We love you with an Agape love, Kuya Jun. You are one of us. You are our brother.”

Moreover, it dawned upon me that they were not expecting something in return. You see, I was empty handed when I entered the church. That means, I don’t have any gift to give to them. Added to that is the fact that I wasn’t able to bring anything for our potluck fellowship. Yet, they still approached me and presented me with those gifts that I really treasure.

That incident reminded me of what happened to me twenty-three years ago.

God gave me a gift which I don’t deserve. God gave me salvation. I don’t deserve it because I am a sinner (Romans 3:23). I don’t want to enumerate all my wrongdoings because I don’t want to wash my dirty linen in public. But I think it suffice to say that I am a sinner.

God gave me a gift that I don’t have to labor for. He gave it to me for free. (Ephesians 2:8-9) I just wholeheartedly accepted it.

God’s gift also tells me how much He loves me. (John 3:16; I John 4:10). He loves me even during the years that He was out of my life and my heart. God’s love did not cease even when I ran away from Him. In fact, He welcomed me with an open arms when I came home and asked for forgiveness.

Going back to the waffle and the pair of socks. What do I intend to do with them? I won’t use the socks and eat the waffle. I will place them in front of my bed where I will often see them to remind me of God’s gift. Which I am also committed to treasure.

“As little children we would dream of Christmas morn
Of all the gifts and toys we knew we’d find
But we never realize a baby born one blessed night
Gave us the greatest gift of our lives.”
-from We Are The Reason song-

No comments: