Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tidbits of Ideas

Introspection.That's what I cannot do without. I always have to think about things. About life. About conversation. About anything and anyone.
This will contain tidbits of my ideas as I ponder about things.
Here it is. :-)
;-)
:-(
1. It dawned upon me that distrust is a universal phenomenon. Man is by nature a doubting person. Not that he doubts his existence just like when Rene Descartes doubted his to prove his existence. (Remember Cogito Ergo Sum?) What I mean by doubt here is distrust. Man distrust his fellow human being. I will give you an example to prove my case. I've known the church I am attending now thru my former student (let us name him PERSON A) in Banteay Meanchey. My student introduced me to one of his filipino colleagues who is a missionary (Let us say he is PERSON B). PERSON B invited me to attend the church. Now, there was this guy (let us call him PERSON C) who talked to his friends about me. PERSON C said that they should watch over me because they don't know me. PERSON C said that the church should be cautious about me since they do not know where I am from. In short, PERSON C is suspecting that I am a con man bent on bleeding the church.
I've tried reaching out to PERSON C in spite of the negative things he says at my back.
Lately, I noticed that PERSON C is becoming nice to me. He talks to me often. What's my response? Just simple and short niceties. You know, short talk. I don't intend to have a closer and deeper friendship with him. The reason is I think that I should be more cautious. For I wonder what else he can do to destroy my reputation if he can speak negatively at my back when he doesn't know me yet.
2. It is also innate for man to think highly of himself. The same guy (PERSON C) talked to me yesterday and he generalized all the schools and students here in Cambodia as worst. Of course, I have to tell him that his experience might not be what I am experiencing now. I completely assured him that I am happy now with my present school. He really looks condescendingly to locals here.
3. People tend to look at outward appearance. People tend to judge others by the way they look and dress. Sorry for them. I prefer to be in tees and jeans. :-) You see, I really feel uneasy wearing ties and all that. I only wear ties in my work because that's our uniform.
What I believe is that we cannot say that a person is bum if he is wearing old and tattered clothes as much as we cannot say that a man in suit is dignified. I think that most con men dress to the nines. Right? And, by the way, demons sometimes appear like angels.
Therefore, know thyself and be respectful of others. Who knows, the beggar that will cross your path maybe the person who will save your life later.

No comments: