Sunday, July 29, 2007

Discouragers

If there is one thing that this world is full of that would be "discouragers".
i remember when I was then jobless and I was asking some members of the church to pray for my job hunting. I, of course, told them that I am convinced that my talent is in teaching.
Two members of the church which I was attending said, "Jun, you can't find a job in school. You don't have a master's degree. Why don't you find work in factories here?"
Another one said, "You should not work in schools here in Cambodia because schools pay very little and salary is always late."
Now, I wish that these people, with all their sincerity will eat their words. I am teaching in one of the "good" schools here in Cambodia. And the school that I am teaching now pays really well.
Why is it that people have this tendency to belittle others? Even Christians do have that tendency.
They have this idea that one is wanting to befriend them because that someone wants to get something from them. I experienced and is experiencing this.
Now, I just tell myself that it is not my loss. It is their loss. They don't know me.
Never did I want to be close to someone because I want to get something from them. In fact, I got my job without anybody's help. Some church people asked me to give them copies of my resume. I did. But they weren't able to help me in getting my job.
Maybe thru prayers they did. Nothing more.
What pisses me off is that most Christians are proud of themselves. They think highly of themselves. They see themselves as important. Indespensable.
Well, I'd rather be with people who are lowly. That's what the poem Dessiderata says.
Moral of the lesson? Cherish people are humble. Do not mingle with the proud. As Dessiderata says, "they are vexation to the spirit

No comments: