Sunday, July 29, 2007

Rottenness of Men

My sister forwarded to me an e-mail about prioritizing love more than wealth and happiness.
I beg to disagree.
Such idea is utopian but it is not what is happening.
In my 38 years of existence here on earth I've learned that most people will love you if you are successful in society's standard.
As a concrete example, my relatives are gravitating toward our family because my sister and my brothers are quite successful. While our cousins who remain poor are the enemies and the outcasts of the whole clan.
if we will examine our extended family dynamics, my cousins and other distant relatives connect or relate more with my brothers and sisters than to me. Maybe because I have not been materially successful.
This is a sad fate but this is a reality. Our extended family dynamics is I think a microcosm of the whole society.
But, hey, there are still some (or a handful of) people who make friendship or relationship as an end-in-itself and not just a means-to-an-end. I know one. Her name is Geny. As I get to know her little by little it dawned upon me that she is a friend who concerns herself of what not she can get from her friends. She concerns herself of how she can be a blessing to them.
The other night she asked me if she can bring me water because I utterred to her during our small talk that I need to pass by a store for I no longer have water.
Of course, Geny is not perfect. Nobody is! She has her own shortcomings or fallenness. But those negatives can be ignored because of her big heart.
Though Geny is one of a kind. She is rare. Seldom we can find a person like her.
What should be our philosophy then?
Live and let live.
Accept the rottenness of man. Live like a rock. Live like an island. And treasure true friends like Geny. They seldom come.

No comments: