Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Doctor's Nightmare

I feel that I am a doctor's nightmare.



First, I am now limping for reason I cannot fathom. In fact, I was crawling when I went to the toilet the other night. I've seen three doctors and they all have different diagnoses. The first doctor said I had a gout. The second doctor said that it is simple case of wear and tear of muscles. The third doctor said that it is because of my weight. He said that I am overweight and my feet cannot support my weight.



Second, I am half-blind now probably because of cataract. My students often notice it when I read in front of the class.



Third, I am a diabetic.



My colleagues, perhaps, are wondering why it seems that I am not bothered by my health. And yes, it is true that I am not bothered by it.



Definitely not primarily because I've learned to accept my situation.



I am not bothered by my health simply because it reminds me that I am human. It reminds me that I should really depend on God.



I thank Him because this is an opportunity to exercise my faith.



As the song says, "I don't know what the future holds." I don't know if I will be crawling to go to university tomorrow.



I know, though, that God will not forsake me (Hebrews 13:5). I also know that if I ask anything according to His will He hears me; and that if He hears me I know that my request will be granted." (I John 5:14-15 Right now, I am asking that God allows me to go to my class regularly.



I am also not bothered by my health now because I always look at the future. My God promised me a glorious future in heaven. In fact, He reserved a place for me in heaven. (John 14:2)



What I am experiencing now is temporal pain. In heaven, there is no pain. There is no sufferings. In heaven, I will no longer need to drink my maintenance drug to regulate my blood sugar.



And I am anxiously awaiting for that day.



"I don't know about tomorrow,

I just live from day to day.

I don't borrow from it's sunshine,

For it's skies may turn to gray.

I don't worry o'er the future,

For I know what Jesus said,

And today I'll walk beside Him,

For He knows what is ahead."

- from the hymn of "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow"

No comments: